Photo: Convent of the Sisters in Bač
Sacred Buildings
ORTHODOX CHURCHES:
- ORTHODOX CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE THEOLOGIAN
- A new church, built between 1992 and 2007
- Features a wooden iconostasis
- Not painted or fully completed
- Includes a parish home
- ORTHODOX CHURCH IN PLAVNA
- ORTHODOX CHURCH IN VAJSKA
- ORTHODOX CHURCH OF ST. ELIJAH IN MALI BAČ
EVANGELICAL CHURCHES:
- EVANGELICAL CHURCH IN SELENČA
CATHOLIC CHURCHES:
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST. PAUL THE APOSTLE, IN BAČ
- Has a parish court, where a women’s monastery once existed;
- Built between 1773 and 1780, and renovated in 1838;
- Its current appearance dates back to 1979, when the present tower—10 meters lower than the previous one—was constructed;
- Designed in the Baroque style, with harmonious proportions;
- Notable elements: Baroque pulpit;
- Frescoes by: József Peczki (The Visions of Apostle Paul before Damascus), Jovan Klajić (Saint Joseph) and József Šeft (Saint Florian);
- Along the southwest wall of the church, a monastery of the Sisters of the Notre Dame Order was added in 1876 (the building was constructed in the spirit of Classicism and consists of a ground floor and an upper floor);
- The monastery preserves a portrait of Cardinal Ludwig Haynald, depicted in red cardinal vestments, painted by Ločinger.
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IN SELENČA
- Built in 1795, it is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IN VAJSKA
- Built in 1842, it is dedicated to Saint George.
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IN PLAVNA
- Built between 1809 and 1813, it is dedicated to Saint James. The church houses the oldest painting of Saint James, dating from 1721, which is protected by the state and which had already existed in the previous church.
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IN BAČKO NOVO SELO
- Dedicated to Saint Anne, it was built in 1827.
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT ELIJAH IN BOĐANI
- Built in 1855.
- CHAPEL OF SAINT ANTHONY
- Located in the forest on the right side of the former Mostonga River.
- It was built in the Gothic style in the late 15th century, and belongs to the Subotica Diocese, as do all other Catholic churches in the municipality of Bač. It contains only the main altar, and the painting of Saint Anthony the Hermit dates from 1850. Interestingly, it was not destroyed or burned during the Ottoman period (unlike many other buildings and sacred sites in Bač). Recently, religious services have been restored there.