Remains of the Turkish Bath – Hamam
In the 14th century, Turkish incursions became increasingly frequent. Many military campaigns against the Turks were launched from Bač. At the time of the Battle of Mohács, Bač also sent its cavalry; however, the Turkish advance could not be stopped, and Bač—after the Battle of Mohács followed the fall of Belgrade—was conquered in 1529. After the battle, the Turks devastated Bač, and the town became the kadiluk of the Szeged sandžak and the administrative center of the Bačka nahija, which included 70 villages.
The hammam in the center of Bač represents a valuable and rare testimony to the period of Ottoman domination in Vojvodina.
It was most likely built after 1578, and it was also recorded by Evliya Çelebi during his visit to Bač in 1665. Based on archaeological findings, it is known that the hammam consisted of six rooms: šadrvan – waiting room and dressing room, halvat – bathing room, hazna – water reservoir, đulhan – furnace room.
The hammam is partially demolished, but the portion of the dome above the central room has been preserved. The walls of several rooms have also survived, containing vessels from that time, as well as visible remnants of ceramic pipes used for distributing hot and cold water.